"An occasional paraffin candle and its emissions will not likely affect you. But lighting many paraffin candles everyday for years or lighting them frequently in an un-ventilated room may cause health problems."- Amid Hamidi, Ph.D.
“A candle with a lead-core wick releases five times the amount of lead considered hazardous for children and exceeds EPA pollution standards for outdoor air, says the CPSC, which is why they banned lead wicks in 2003. Exposure to high amounts of lead has been linked to hormone disruption, behavioral problems, learning disabilities, and numerous health problems."- www.greenamerica.org